July 4, 2015

Happy 4th of July!! - "Firework" Cookies

Happy 4th!  I know, I know, I haven't posted in FOREVER!!  I've been kinda busy, but I have a ton of things lined up that (hopefully)  I can get posted soon.  Today though, I want to post with these 4th of July "Firework" Cookies.  They're really easy to make; this post will basically focus on the decorating part.  (for the cookie/frosting recipes go to my baking page and scroll all the way down.  the cookie recipe is under "Christmas cookies" but it's the same thing :) )

You will need one recipe of the sugar cookies (baked and cooled) and one recipe of the buttercream frosting (leave 1/2 white and dye 1/4 red and 1/4 blue)


1/2 the frosting should remain white, while red and blue should be 1/4 each.  (the red and blue look like they have more because it spread out when I stirred in the dye ;) )


To decorate these cookies, you first frost it like you normally would with the white frosting (leave about 1/4 inch at the edges) then put your red and blue frosting in separate decorating bags.  Place a dot of one color in the center of the cookie, then put a ring around it with the alternating color, then another ring, and so on.  (shown above)  You can put at many rings as you want depending on the size of your cookie/your own preference.  I put 3.


Next, using a toothpick, start in the center and drag outward through the frosting.  Do this 4 times (kind of like dividing the frosting into 1/4s)  When this is done, do the same thing between each line, only start on the outside edge and drag inward.  The cookie should look like this (above)


Continue like this until all the cookies have been decorated! (the cookie in the center above was one of my "experiments" :)  I simply put more lines to give it a more tye dyed look)


I also made a flag minus the stars because I ran out of white.  It also doesn't have 13 stripes, but at least you can tell what it is :)


I also did these after I ran out of white.  It was the same thing, just with red and blue.


I was making these with my sister, Corinne, and these are the ones she decorated!  (above)

Hope you enjoyed and Happy 4th!!



No comments:

Post a Comment